Thursday, April 14, 2011

Korean Pancakes for Breakfast

  
   It looks like a scab. I know... But it's delicious. The photo does no justice. Anyhow, I've been making pancakes for breakfast lately, but I'm not talking about the kind with maple syrup and butter. You won't find this craziness on an Ihop menu.
   A Korean pancake, or Pajeon, usually consists of kimchi or seafood. I always go for the kimchi if I'm ordering one in a restaurant. I, pretty much, never cook Korean food at home, but now... That's all changed. I'm cookin' up hotcakes like...umm, hotcakes. They're so damn good and so easy to make. There's only three ingredients.
   You gotta go out and get yourself some Korean pancake mix and kimchi. I buy big bags of the mix at my local grocery store, and a small bag of kimchi from the local GS25 on the day I'm cooking. I buy the small bag as to not stink up my tiny fridge with kimchi stench. It gets nasty if you let kimchi sit. Yuk!
   I like to toss my kimchi in a small mixing bowl and use kitchen scissors to cut it up right in in the bowl. Next, add a bit of mix, then add water. Mix it all together until it's the thickness of a milkshake... God, a kimchi milkshake would be disgusting (Sorry Korea)... Next, toss it in a buttered pan and cook it into one big pancake on a low flame. I like to let mine get crispy but there's no wrong way to do it. The crunch just adds another element to the experience. That's it though. slide it out of the pan, grab some chopsticks and enjoy. It makes a great breakfast or snack. It also goes great with Korean rice wine, Makgeolli. Maybe you shouldn't be drinking Makgeolli with breakfast.
   Give it a shot. It's good. You'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment